Sunday, May 14, 2006

Water was clear, but no bugs

I had some time this afternoon, so off I drove to that little stream I've taken a shine to. The thing about this stream is that it doesn't look like much at first glance, or even at second glance. In fact it is barely big enough to fly fish. But it does hold plenty of trout, including a few good ones. I thought with all the rain we've had (I know it stormed up there yesterday), it may have been blown out, but in fact it was normal level and clear.

I was on the stream at about 1:30. A dark cloud hung overhead. Water temperature was 54 f. No hatches to speak of all afternoon. I saw a few olives and at about 3:30, 4 hendricksons. In some good pools, I could see nice trout finning on the bottom, but I didn't catch a trout until 4:00. I caught the first brookie I've seen on this stream - only about 8 inches, and a brown just a little better...and in the run just above the bridge, I caught an 11 inch brown. The sky was getting darker, and a cool east wind was blowing. Thinking it was going to storm, I packed up and headed out at about 5:30. It was sunny when i arrived back in Toronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home