Saturday, April 26, 2008

Opening Day

After a leisurely breakfast, I drove to Fergus to pick up a few things at Troutfitters. I hadn't been to their new location before, and I have to say, it's a very nice fly shop, and the fellow I was dealing with was very helpful and knowledgeable.

I found a spot on the "Upper River" portion of the Grand, above Fergus, and was surprised I had quite a nice stretch to myself, a condition that changed after about 1:00 when the opening day fishermen appeared in droves. At one point, there were 5 guys fishing a short run near where I parked my car. You would think it was the only run in the river with trout!

It was a blustery day, with occasional light showers, and cool temperatures. The water was very cold! Given the conditions, I decided to chuck streamers, and soon caught a fat 16 inch brown on a Grey Ghost. An hour later, another good trout smashed my streamer, but I only had it hooked for a few seconds. And that was it. There were a few very small bugs around, but no rising trout. Water was clear and the flow was low. On the way up, I stopped to look at another well-known trout stream, where water was also clear, but high. There were a lot of cars parked there as well. Although some spots get a lot of pressure all the time, opening day attracts a lot of people who only seem to make it out to the river once each season, and soon turn their attention to working around the house or driving up to the cottage...

I left the river early, as Tuffy P and I were going to visit my brother-in-law in hospital. He has just had his aortic valve replaced, and today has been moved out of intensive care. Fortunately he seems to be recovering quite well!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trout opener is always a good time of year.
By mid-afternoon people on that other stream you dropped by had all disappeared. Must have been the threat of bad weather.
Even opening day has its fair weather crowd. And the best part is that it didn't rain.
:-)
Mr. Agawa Canyon

9:12 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Har, maybe the folks from your river gave up and drove over to the one I was on, Mr. Canyon.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny. I wish it were the case if you get my drift.
I like your postings. There is a lazy comfortableness to it, although some more would be good.
How often do you get out?

10:55 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Well, this time of year, I try to get out every week + a day off here and there....I'll be out somewhere or other on Friday May 9 and then May 14 to 18 I'll be down in Pennsylvania.

Sorry I don't post here more often, but I do also have another blog, mister anchovy, which is about everything except fly fishing.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wait a litle excited the open day...

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I follow your other blog as well from time to time. I've spent a lot of time driving through the American southwest. Tex Mex and Tejano music I enjoy. The accordion and harmonica have a way of touching the soul. Not to say I don't enjoy other forms of music.
Mr. Canyon.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home