Saturday, June 16, 2007

UP trout streams






Each day was hot and clear during my time on the Upper Michigan Peninsula, not exactly the idea conditions I had hoped for. Some rivers turned right off in the heat and others only turned on a little bit in early morning and late evening. I caught my share of trout, but no big ones this trip.

I did see three big trout though, in the Fox River above Seney. The first I scared up walking downstream, and it swam past me perhaps four feet away, a very big brookie, certainly over 16 inches. Then later the same morning, approaching the same area from below, I was trudging upstream across a shallow sandy flat - I hadn't imagined any trout in this water - when I saw movement ahead. There were two trout swimming almost side-by-side in a foot of water. I would say the smallest of the two was 14 inches and the larger18+ inches long. I watched them for a long time. I threw dries over them which they ignored. I ran a streamer past them and they drifted back a little. Finally, the pair of them bolted upstream and disappeared.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Gardenia said...

Looks like some pretty area there. Like Wyoming the overgrowth over the streams looks like it might make getting the fly to the fish a bit tricky.

9:56 AM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

At times quite tricky, gardenia - but in my assessment, overall Wyoming streams are far easier to fish and less tangled with alders that the little rivers of the UP.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home