Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The problem with writing

Some of you will have noticed that sometimes I'm a little bit vague about where I fish, frankly because I don't want to encourage people to put additional pressure on my local streams. In a couple cases I fish streams which don't get a lot of play (and I like it that way), and I confess you won't find a map to those spots on these pages. I don't mind talking about the Grand, because it is so well known and has had a lot of press. It's the smaller, more delicate streams about which I'm not going to give up too many details. One guy I know says, "those damn websites are bringing too many people to the river," and maybe he's right. The good thing is that the more delicate streams also tend to be a little tougher, and many folks who fish them once don't bother going back.

There's a brook trout stream I know, which is not entirely unknown, but I almost never see anyone else there. I consider that to be a positive condition because the entire stretch of this pretty water is best with a single fisherman around. I've shown this one to a few very good friends over the years, and I know they will keep it quiet. The trout there are very eager and there are some good ones, but parts of the stream are really hard to fish and even navigate.

If I seem vague from time-to-time, chalk it up to the problem of writing about fly fishing. Readers who fish around this neck of the woods will figure out most of the streams I talk about easily enough, and everyone else, I suggest you start with a little exploring, and maybe make a few friends on-stream. There are only so many streams in Southern Ontario. You'll work it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home