Thursday, May 29, 2008

Drakes?

I hear green drakes have started to appear on a few streams. Many readers will know that these bugs have suffered a catastrophic decline on the main stem of the upper Credit River. I remember years ago hiking up to the meadows stretch during the greed drakes. In the early evening, Grey Foxes came off and coffin flies (green drake spinners) dropped to the water. Some of the big trout showed themselves, shedding their usual skittishness at the promise of calories galore.

In the last few years I've volunteered to count the green drake duns I've seen coming off the various stretches of that river. I think last time I counted only a couple duns.

I don't know if there are green drakes on the little stream I'm going to fish on Sunday. I'll report back.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you think green drakes are declining? It is common or unusual?

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is something that is happening not only in the little streams mentioned but also bigger rivers northwest of us.
Various theories exist ranging from sewage overflows to agricultural (pesticide) runoff.
I believe there is some research being done and answers may come one day.
AC

10:08 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Smuggler, it is very unusual. It's like the canary in the coal mine.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

We are seeing the same sorts of declines in aquatic insects.

Here in my part of Eastern Canada, the hatches were never as prolific as some of the more famous trout fishing areas. Maybe because our rivers have a fairly low natural ph it doesn't take much to push them over the edge.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home