Sunday, June 01, 2008

A wee trout stream





The good thing about this stream is that at first glance it doesn't look very trouty. In fact, at second glance, it doesn't look very trouty either. It's a deceptive little stream though, and there are some deep pools and some nice undercuts.

After working for several hours on my father-in-law's cottage garden, I drove over to check things out. It had been very cool and windy all morning and into the afternoon, but now the temperature was coming up a little and the wind not so bad.

I normally fish a different stretch of this creek, a stretch which believe it or not looks even smaller than this stretch, by virtue of the fact that it runs though forest. I took a walk first, and met a local fellow who was bait fishing in one of the deeper runs. I watched him catch a 10 inch brown and add it a couple others he had killed for dinner. He knew the stream well, and he obviously fished it all the time.

I went back to the car for a fly rod then walked quite a way down to the end of the meadow and started working upstream. There were not many bugs about (besides the blackflies), just a few Grey Foxes and a few caddis. I saw one large mayfly come off the water, but it was at a distance, so I couldn't see what it was.

I fished with a March Brown Usual and caught and released three browns between 10 and 12 inches, all fat and feisty.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Preacherman said...

peaceful and beautiful. I want to live there.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stream and lots of green!
Tim

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home