Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Grand above Fergus




I fished the Grand this morning. There is plenty of water coming out of the lake and the river in the area I fished it is decidedly stained. The local fly shop suggested it was running clear on their website, but I suppose they're optimistic. It was a sunny morning with a stiff breeze, stiff enough to make casting a challenge. I saw a few cahills coming off, but after a while it was difficult to see bugs because of the wind. I hooked one little brown on an isopod, and that's it.

I watched the Great Blue Heron in the picture for quite a while. They hunt by standing in a likely flat very still. When a trout swims close enough, all hell breaks loose and the bird comes up with a trout. Some days, they do better than I do. Har!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

stain my ass...that be muck!!

8:39 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Har, East Texas Red, tis true it didn't look much like a trout stream yesterday.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister just arrived from Toronto, she went to visit our relatives, and told me that it rained the all month that she spend overthere, maybe that´s why the river aren´t much clear...

3:04 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Hi smuggler. This has been the rainiest summer I've experienced in the Toronto area in some time. It's been a very unusual summer for me as well. Tuffy P and I decided to move this summer, so we sold our house and bought another in a different location. We move at the end of the month. This has turned out to be quite a time consuming project, and it has unfortunately limited my fishing outings quite a bit. Hopefully, I'll be able to get out a few times in September to fish the isonychia bicolour hatch.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

I guess I am out of my league.

I had to go to troutnut.com to find out what an "isonychia bicolour" looks like.

The weather here has split between very hot and very wet most of the summer with the odd good day in between. Guess we would not be anglers if we were not also optimists.

Cheers,
Steve

12:41 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Hi Steve,
Here in Southern Ontario, the Isonychias are a major hatch. They actually happen twice each season, in June and in August/September. The June emergence is usually a late evening deal. On good years, the August/September emergence can make for excellent fishing. These are big dark mayflies. The nymphs are swimmers. Sometimes, they draw big trout into very shallow water. In some places the same bug is known as a slate drake or a white-gloved howdy.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

A white-gloved howdy?
There has to be a joke in there somewhere...

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Steve

5:35 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

I think the lead-wing coachman is the same fly

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home