Saturday, April 25, 2009

Storm




By the time I stepped into the river, it was already after 3:00. It was sunny, warm and breezy. There were some small mayflies coming off, but no trout rising. I messed around with soft-hackles and streamers for a while, when I noticed a dark cloud in the north. The wind picked up and the cloud came toward the steam quickly.

It was a 15 or 20 minute walk out to the car, so I started back, hoping to make it before the thunderstorm hit. By the time I reached my car, lightning was flashing in the sky and it was drizzling.

As I drove south, it was bright in front of me and very dark behind. I thought I could surf ahead of the storm, but my Mississauga it caught up to me from the west. Winds were extreme. Visibility was poor. The air was filled with litter from the sides of the highway. I exited the 410 onto the 401 and then quickly got off at Renforth and drove the rest of the way off the highway.

Well, I didn't get much fishing in, but it was good to get out, even for a short while.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Sounds like a typical early season outing back here. The weather is fickle.
How are you making out with the pup?
I love Newfoundland dogs. When I was a kid we used to swim at a place where a neighbour had a NF dog. It was a pleasant, gentle, creature with only one annoying habit. He insisted on rescuing us whenever we went into the water.
It certainly made us strong swimmers. The trick was to swim from the shore to the raft before the dog could catch you and pull you back to shore.

Cheers,
Steve

12:19 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

We just brought the pup home today. Her name is Memphis. You can see pictures over here

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was out on the same river the day of the storm. take a look at www.haveflywillfish.wordpress.com
i only arrived on the river late afternoon before all hell broke loose.
i believe we fish the same stretch of river so you might recognize the photo.
i stayed on till the end of the storm.
storms - they always pass.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home