Monday, December 15, 2008

Re-org

When we moved late this summer, I packed up all my fly tying gear by putting it all in a big plastic bin. I just got around to reorganizing it last weekend. It took several hours, but now my tying desk is pretty well organized for a winter of fly tying. I ended up finding all kinds of materials I haven't looked at in years.

I'm looking forward to re-developing that winter fly tying habit. I'll go through my fly boxes first to see what I have and what I need, then I'll start tying for the major hatches I fish in various styles. I use a lot of Usuals and Comparaduns, and soft-hackles for emergers, plus a handful of buggy looking nymphs and a handful of catskill type dries and another handful of attractors. I use parachute ants as a probing fly and depending on where I'm fishing, I sometimes use various beetle patterns.

I'm not a fancy fly tier by my flies do what I ask of them. I don't carry nearly as many patterns as I used to, simply because I don't think I need them. When I travel to other locations, if I see some locally tied flies in a fly shop I usually buy up a fistful. I do this because sometimes the local guys really get it right for their area, plus I like to support local fly tiers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home